Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Beautiful Pain - Part 2, surgery


A few weeks ago I had a surgery to repair a health issue (female of nature) that I have had for 10+ years. It was a relief. And a blessing.


As soon as I emerged from surgery the unexpected began. There were many things I wish that I had known beforehand..... ways that I could have prepared, details I wish I could have mentally been aware of, for example, I would have liked to have known how to handle harried nurses who speak little English, or to have known that my bladder would be oober painful for MONTHS.  And the four holes in my abdomen... I knew they would be there.... but actually HAVING them there.... so weird. And how am I gonna get bikini ready? Will the redness ever go away???

Alas, there are no books on such things. I am confident that knowing my emotions would go haywire and my hormones would change, would have benefited EVERYONE. Seriously, I am more hormonal than my teenage daughters and my moods are swinging FASTER. I think there should be a booklet you get handed the MOMENT you find out you need a hysterectomy with ALL the possible scenarios/outcomes. And then I think that there should be mandatory support group participation in the immediate aftermath. (yes, I said aftermath)

funny.
but not.

All in all, my time of healing has been beautiful. I have truly been amazed at how my body has been able to heal, change, repair. I have been in awe of the multi-layered effect that this whole experience has had on me.

Here is my semi exhaustive list on Things I wish I knew: Surgery

1. Sleep is beautiful - indulge often

2. Nothing can prepare you, nothing, for YOUR specific experience (stifled gasp)

3. IT is always worse in some ways and better in others

4. Pain meds are helpful  - but only for a limited amount of time
               (They begin to think for you but you really think its you, but its not, but you don't know that. AND the dreams... the wonderfully, terrifyingly real dreams ....)

5. Healing happens without cognitive thought - you can feel it but cannot control it... so facilitate it. (this is your time to be pampered... LIVE IT UP)

6. Take one day at a time. There is no way you can determine how you will feel even 24 hours from the moment you are in.
   (so planning a day trip... not good. Or promising to braid your daughters hair in corn rows after school and being fast asleep ALL eve -  not good either...)

7. Healing is not just physical
                  A. body (the easy part)
                   B. soul (the unanticipated part)
                    C. spirit (the part that continues to need fed)

8. Take TIME .... even if you don't think you need it (embrace the process, allow it all to happen)

9.  Self nurture is important
            A. eat healthy, fresh (and on a schedule, really)
             B. hydrate (come to the watering hole)
              C. journal -  (a well worn one works best)
               D. have support (family and friends)
                E. Walk in grace ( LOTS of it)                            



Now that I am coming up on eight weeks post surgery, life is becoming normal.... routines are able to be established again. I am able to plan my mental and physical state in full days again.

But.... Life is different. And will be for awhile, I hear.

.... darn hormones.....







No comments:

Post a Comment