Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Core values and Words with Friends



Clearly, I have been sounding off questions lately about why we do what we do, coping mechanisms,  codes of ethics. I am (and always have been) quite analytical on theoretical issues....I can be a very. dull. girl. However, we have seen improvement in our life from changing a few of our perspectives - thus actions. Makes it all worth it.

Isaac and I have been on a quest. A dynamic (as in ever changing) and focused (as in never wavering) journey to be intentional with our thoughts and actions. We began to realize how much down time we had in our thoughts and conversations.

Don't misunderstand.... we love to rest and laugh and banter and have meaningless debates about Ron Paul and dark beer. We watch The Mentalist on random winter Thursdays and we occasionally RedBox a movie and then actually watch it within the 24 hour deadline. (score)
We enjoy a drink with friends late at night and the occasional carton of McD's french fries. And yes, I still play words with friends.

We realized though that in and around the fun and the rest and the work we were frittering away our days with unfocused and meaningless non-actions.

I suppose everyone at some point in their life realizes this... and perhaps it is when they are hitting their mid-thirties. I don't know. No one ever told us. If you are older and you know about this  process and would like to enlighten us on what is next..... please, do not hold back!

In our process of changing we decided to define our core values.... redefine, actually. It was not an easy process. See, we were committed to the authenticity of the procedure. We didn't want it to turn into a goal list or a who-we-wish-we-were list. Life expresses our core values as they are ingrained in our fibers.... that was what we wanted to define.

Based on the question I posed in my last post,"what are your fundamentals?"
 And in the interest of being transparent,

Here are some of our current Core values:
1. All life is for the glory of God
2. Family is a priority
       a. Prioritizing the friendship of our marriage
       b. and with our children
3. House of peace (for us and others)
       a. as a standard, not the exception
4. Simplicity
5. integrated knowledge of life and God for our children
6. Never make a decision while "going uphill"
7. We are part of a whole (life is not about us)
8. Work hard, seek wisdom, gain knowledge, rest
9. Listen Intentionally. Seek to understand


Care to share your core values? We love to hear where people are...







4 comments:

  1. This is the entire truth. You encapsulated it well, in fact...you laid it all out there didn't you? :)

    I have only to add that personally, (as part of you...in this duo) this is the most
    peaceful/frustrating,
    sane/psychotic,
    easy/difficult,
    wisdom/foolish-feeling
    pursuit I've ever allowed to happen to me as a choice.

    BUT, but....by the grace of GOD I am here because I realized that SOME things matter, and SOME things do not.

    And I was unaware of which one some of those things were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like being on the path with you, babe!

      Delete
  2. Great post Angel. I really like your blog.

    My core Values are: Faith, Integrity, Relationships, Growth, and Perseverance.

    -Jonathan Sutton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good values. Wow. I like the simplicity. All decisions can be measured well with them. Thanks for sharing

      Delete