Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Operation: Smile More





A smile goes a long way.  Really.

I know I melt when a child smiles at me. I can't resist it.
 I respond famously when someone locks eyes with me and gives me a smile that reaches their eyes.
A laughing smile causes mirth in me.
A compassionate smile makes me feel seen.
A jovial smile lends me to want to giggle and do something mischievous.
A smile of sympathy does nothing for me, though, just sayin'.

So I began to experiment.
Operation: SMILE MORE
Trying to crawl outside of the details in my head, focus on those around me, shoooeeee, it takes practice. Who knew?
Here are some of my successes.  I will defer transcribing my failures, as they do not aid in making my point. 

1. My kiddos respond so much more to a scolding when I have a hint of a smile in my voice.

2. I was doing business with an individual, male in nature, tall of stature, gruff of demeanor. He did not like my jokes. He was way smarter than me. He told me. Many times. Many ways. He kept scowling at me as he peppered me with questions. He wanted to work with me, but he couldn't quite bring himself to admit it. So I shrugged (inside of course) acted like his insults were compliments... and smiled. Guess what? I got another referral from him this week. 

3. In the local discount grocery store that I frequent there is a female cashier who looks like her mother died this morning right after her toast burned, minutes after she found out that she was being evicted. I tell you... the woman looks sad. Not mad. But miserable. And like if she looks up and sees you she may cry.  So I smile a gentle smile at her as I pass her my debit card. Slowly now, after 4 years, I get tentative eye contact as I breeze through her domain. Progress.

4. I have been experimenting with smiling while I talk on the phone... and I am getting enormously positive results. I find that I am more energetic and positive, as well. I'm not only working magic on others... I'm working it on me.

Here's to smiling, to sad people and Gruff men. Bottoms up... I'm workin' it!

2 comments: